Day 22 - The Ferry back to Nova Scotia

Well, it’s time to say goodbye to “The Rock”. I’m really glad we were able to see a very small part of this fascinating and beautiful province!  But the effort required to get here on the ferry would have made a longer stay feel more worthwhile. The ferry days are a bit stressful as we need to drive to the terminal, be on time and then do a bunch of sitting and waiting, not to mention the long crossing itself and the high cost. But our motto this trip has been that it’s better to see a little bit and then come back another time to explore more. It’s felt that way everywhere along the trip!

As I mentioned in the last post Julian went to bed with a runny nose and he woke up with a fever and nausea. I spent our last morning at St John’s buying disinfecting wipes, gloves, Kleenex, lozenges, Advil, soup and crackers. I wasn’t sure at this point if he had a stomach bug, regular cold or the dreaded covid. 

We wore our masks around each other full-time and tried to sanitize like crazy in the hopes to keep the rest of us healthy. 



We had one hour of time to “spend” on our way to the ferry terminal so we stopped in Dildo and ate our lunch behind the Dildo brewing company on a nice little dock  






I was very impressed with this salad I made, especially as it has been hard to eat fresh/healthy while on the road. Of course I was too worried I’d be the next to get sick, to really enjoy it.  




Poor Julian, you can see he is not doing well


Back to the ferry. Now that we know what to expect it is a tiny bit easier, but having everyone in masks and Julian not well added an extra layer of stress 




Our berth was a different orientation this time and smaller. We should have asked for one with a window since we checked in early but didn’t know we could do that. The crossing was rougher this time and everyone started to feel unwell from the up and down motion  



Sam in a closet



Trying to get some fresh air and see the horizon (notice the black smoke belching out - so much for fresh air! But it quickly dissipated). 


Checking on the truck. Still there. But it is exposed to the elements this time. 


Goodbye Newfoundland 👋🏻 



We only took our masks off to eat as quickly as possible. We found a games room where we could sit and see the horizon as being in our windowless cabin seemed to magnify the rolling feeling. 


One of my children took this of me 😂 Looking out at the horizon trying to stay healthy and wondering what the night and following day will bring.  Stay tuned to find out…


 

Comments

  1. It's tough getting sick on the road (or ferry, as it were.) Hope Julian is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite the adventure! I hope Julian is feeling better soon and everyone else keeps well! - Krista

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment